Chia Seed Drink
I was at the health food store the other day when I purchased a new beverage in the refrigerated section called Mamma Chia. It was $4.95 which I thought was kinda/sorta expensive. I really enjoyed the drink and decided to make my own version.
Do I recommend buying this?? Yes!
Do I recommend making this at home?? Yes! Save some money : )
Chia becomes gelatinous when added to liquid, hence why it can be used as an egg replacer.
Benefits of Chia Seeds
Prized as a superfood by the Aztecs, Chia contains:
- Five times the omega-3 content of a 1/4-cup serving of walnuts
- Twice the iron and magnesium of a cup of spinach
- As much calcium as a half-cup of milk
- As much potassium as a third of a banana
- More than twice the fiber of a cup of oatmeal
Other Benefits of Chia
‘Chia’ seeds, meaning strength, comes from the Mayan language. They are a balance of protein, carbs, fats and fiber. Athletes have reported that Chia seeds help them sustain optimal energy levels over longer periods of time.
Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants and EFAs namely Omega 3s. Other nutrients Chia provides are protein, fiber, iron, calcium, niacin, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus.
Chia Seed Drink
¾ cup Black River unsweetened blueberry, cranberry or raspberry juice
¾ cup Perrier or mineral water
1 tsp sweetener of choice (I used agave nectar)
1.5 tbsp chia seeds
1 clean 10 oz bottle or glass ( I reused my Mamma bottle)
- Mix all ingredients in a glass or bottle of choice.
- Gently shake bottle and let sit in the fridge until chia expands (around 20 mins)
- Gently shake before drinking
- Best served cold
*You can use any fruit juice or fresh fruit juice of your choice.
*Try making this will coconut water or homemade lemonade.